Pages

Posted on: Monday 31 March 2014

Hat Stand


Hello ! 

As part of an 'exchanging resources' project I undertook in my first year at University, I acquired an old heavily varnished drab looking hat stand…
I took one look at it, and decided to transform it!
I sanded it down by hand (which took almost two full days and a lot of elbow grease)
Painted a base coat, and then began work on it.

Close up of the pegs 

The hat stand screws apart, which helped loads when painting



I was using a very fine brush to achieve the amount of detail I wanted but with this took time, lots of time!
It took me around 4 weeks to paint the hat stand, I would awake at 8am, start painting until I dropped usually around 12 every evening… by the end of the 4 weeks my hands ached!!



birds eye view

The top half of the hat stand






After assessment was over, I went to collect my work and noticed my hat stand was missing and in its place a note which read;

“Your work has been selected for an exhibition”

I was pretty ecstatic to read this and then also find out I received an A for it.
At least all of those long hours of painting paid off! 

After the exhibition, my hat stand was then personally selected by the Dean of the University to be displayed in his office.

In the Dean's office 


I very much enjoyed creating this piece, yes it was a lot of work but I really love to be very hands on with my art and when it’s an entire process like this I feel a lot more connected with the work and am very proud of it.

All in all a success!


If you would like to see more images similar to this, don't forget to like my Facebook page, and follow me on my other social medias - find all links at the top



Alexzandria

No comments:

Post a Comment